Tuesday 24 June 2014

the end of the academic year

Towards the end of every academic year my attitude changes quite dramatically. Usually I am a hard working person who always does their homework and works hard in lessons, but in the last month of the academic year I just seem to stop caring. 

I start to only half do work or keep telling myself that I will do it later, but I never do. This never used to be a problem, because during my time at high school, I could get away with not doing work and then suddenly somehow knowing exactly what the answers are, or the work just didn't matter anyway because it was set in the last (often incredibly useless) month in school. The work meant nothing and did not allow me to gain anything towards my final grade, henceforth I deemed it useless. 

Now that I am in college, which to clear up the meaning of it for people throughout the world- in England, college is where you go after high school, it is not the same as what American's call college, we go there from age 16-18. University is the equivalent of an American college. Lots of Americans get confused when I say I am in college at my age, but it's just what we call it over here. Anyway, now that I am in college (also known as sixth form, just to confuse you even more) my work now actually has meaning. So I am supposed to keep focused and maintain my hard work until the start of summer. It sucks. 

Once my exams are done, I sort of turn into a different person. A person who cannot be bothered with any sort of education at all, and this has not changed as I have got older. So now I am setting myself up for a bad summer. I will have a lot of work to do and I still won't be bothered to do it.

I just feel like I need a week away from college to relax and then I will be able to start working hard again, but I have to stay at college until summer starts. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't counting down the days until annual taste of freedom begins, but I know that once it begins, I just get closer and closer to the start of my next year in education. It just feels like an endless cycle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment