Wednesday 25 June 2014

assumptions can hurt

Those of you who follow me on twitter will be aware that my name on it can make my account seem like it is a help account, but it is not. My account hasn't been a help account for many months now, and I have reasons for that. But still, people continue to assume that my account was created simply to help others. When actually, it hasn't been a help account for any of the time that I have had my new username (and before that too). I changed my username at least eight months ago. 

My account is not a help account anymore because I cannot handle helping people most of the time. Often people trigger me without even considering that I have emotions, and when they do finally realise that I cannot handle helping them anymore, they disappear without saying a word. They do not thank me for helping them, and they do not apologise for triggering me. They simply leave me in a bad state of mind which I then have to try to fix on my own. 

You may tell me to just tell whoever asks me for help that I can't handle helping them, well that's a good suggestion in theory, but when they threaten to do things to themselves if I do not help them, I cannot escape the situation at all and must try to help them as much as I can. Occasionally in this situation I will ask someone else to speak to them, but only after I have tried all I can to help them.

Of course, not everyone threatens me into helping them, but I have had negative reactions from quite a few people before. I have explained that I am unable to help them and that they should seek help elsewhere because I cannot handle it, and they will suddenly tell me that I am a 'useless help account', even though I'm not a help account. This is when the assumptions really begin to hurt. People assume that I am a help account and so feel that it is right to say things that are just out of order because they do not get what they want. If they cared to ask if I was able to help them, then I would be able to explain the situation. 

Sadly a lot of people see me as nothing but a help account, so when messaging me, they will never once ask how I am, but expect me to do everything I can to help them. It's hard work helping people, but it's even harder when they don't care about your well being.


I am not a help account, I am a recovery account. I am not claiming that I am a help account at all, and I would greatly appreciate it if people stopped assuming that I am a help account. Behind my twitter account is a human being. Please respect that I have feelings and that recovery is hard enough already without being threatened, abused or expected to help anyone and everyone who asks for it. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment