Friday 30 May 2014

the care prompt

Over the last couple of days, one of my friends took a break from twitter and all other forms of communication, so I had no way of contacting her. She's a good friend, and she has cared about me in the past, so it was only natural that I cared about her unscheduled leave. I had an idea of why she had left, and I respected that. I sent her a few messages privately to let her know that she could talk to me when she was ready.

Last night she returned to twitter and messaged me back. She was grateful that I cared enough to check on her and notice that she was gone- as she gave no warning to anyone. However, after tweeting that she was back, she noticed that some people messaged her and claimed to have seen that she was gone. She wasn't sure whether this was true or not because during her short break, none of them messaged her.

Hearing about this made me think, it's happened to me before so many times, and I've finally figured out what I can call it. It's the care prompt. Many people only tend to show that they care when it's too late, or when they are prompted to care. Lots of people don't notice when someone needs help, because they don't care to look for the subtle details.

I'm not saying that everyone has to know everyone's character inside out to be able to care about them, I'm just saying that sometimes people need to look past the obvious and see what's there. When I get bad, I tend to not speak to people as much, and just keep to myself a lot. My closest friends can notice almost instantly when something is wrong with me- because they truly care about me.

Lots of people also say that they care, but when help is needed, they're nowhere to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment