Wednesday 21 May 2014

music and some random thoughts

Many people say that music helps them through a lot- that a certain singer or band gives them hope through their words. Some even go as far to say that their music has saved their life. I've never been able to say that. I don't really become a fan of a group or artist, I never have, so the idea of being a dedicated fan seems like an alien concept to me. Whenever people ask me what my favourite band or artist is I can never give a proper answer because I don't have a favourite. 

I like many types of music, quite literally a bit of everything. If you go through my ipod you'll find pop, rock, rap, country, and yes, even a bit of opera. I have English music, French music, German music, and a few other languages. Although most of my music is English, I do enjoy listening to the foreign songs, even if I can't understand most of what they are saying.

I love music that sounds good even when you listen past the lyrics and really hear the beat and the instruments involved. It sometimes seems like I can feel the person playing the instruments if I listen closely enough.

I have an exceptional memory for song lyrics and timings. I know lots of people who say they have an exceptional memory for lyrics too, but when they witness me memorising the lyrics to a song that I haven't heard in eight years, with the words coming out of my mouth but an expression of pure confusion on my face as I wonder how I can remember such an old song, they realise that I do have a scarily good memory for song lyrics. I don't know why I do, but I guess you could consider it a talent. 

One possible explanation is that I tend to view songs as poetry with music behind them. Although I am not a fan of poetry, when you add the right sort of music to it, it can become almost hypnotic to me. I like music with meaning behind it, often these songs are quite confusing to most people and they don't make sense, but I'm the sort of person that figures out the meaning to a song before I decide whether I like it or not. 

A couple of years ago I had to do an art project based on a song of my choice. I chose a song which I had only heard once before and throughout the entire project I listened to it over and over again. I attached so much meaning to the song, and created what I consider to be my best piece of art yet. Now whenever I hear the song, I'm taken back to the emotions that I have associated with it. 

To me, music can be a source of inspiration, or guidance. But I know that although it may offer me ideas, it is ultimately me who decides on what to do and acts on this thought. 

One thing I would like to do is to write poetry with the aim of adding music to it, but at this point in time, my aim is to learn to express myself through poetry, which I will keep to myself in a book, but maybe this poetry will help me in more ways than one. Writing is a coping mechanism which I don't use often enough, and I really think that I should. I just find it difficult to express things through words, but I really want to learn how to be able to do it. I'll just have to keep practicing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment