Monday 11 November 2013

why bother comparing yourself to others?

It sometimes feels like it's a competition when you're suffering with a mental illness or bad experiences. It's a constant 'I'm worse than you because...' But is that really useful? All you're doing is feeling sorry for yourself and bringing yourself down even further, as well as others. By comparing yourself to others in a negative way, you're actually looking for excuses to feel bad, and that's not helpful to anyone. 

I often get people asking how my day has been, and sometimes I don't feel like going into detail, so I simple say it was alright. That person may then say 'my day was worse than yours'. But the truth is, unless you've lived my day, or heard enough about it to know who's was worse, then you have no right to compare yourself to me. 

Comparison to others will only end up bringing you down. This is your life, not your friend's, not your parents' and definitely not the life of someone you met on the internet. So, what right do you have to compare yourself to them?

We're all different and handle situations differently, so we're either at a natural advantage or disadvantage in different circumstances. 

This sort of reminds me of this quote, all though it is not fully relevant, it gets the point across: 
                  "Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish for its ability to climb a tree, it'll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid." 

No comments:

Post a Comment