Thursday 14 November 2013

religion is like a penis

I once read this on the internet; 
         "Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around... and PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat."

Some people need to realise this. 



Today I had someone rather agressively try to shove their religion down my throat. This particular person, who will remain unnamed, has hurt me beyond what I can forgive. 

Because I didn't believe in Christianity, they said that I was worthless, compared me to Hitler because I said that I thought I was a good person, and said that my life wasn't worth living if I wasn't a Christian. 

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I am allowed to choose my own religion, or lack of religion if I want, yes? So then explain this to me- why am I in the wrong for not believing in a 'god', yet someone who does believe in a 'god' is in the right by verbally abusing me? Is that how religions work? 

Of course, I understand that not all followers of religions are like this, and I don't want anyone to believe that I am against religions. I'm all for religions, but only if the people who believe in them don't force their beliefs on me. If you want to go to church, do it, I encourage you to if it makes you happy. But if you call me a 'sinner' for not going then that is not okay. 

I've had experience with religion before as I was raised into one of them, so please don't tell me that I 'don't know anything' because I can promise you that I do. I know a lot more than you think, but I have made a personal decision in my life to not believe in a religion. 

Keep your negative opinions of me to yourself, because as far as I'm aware, all of the most famous religions teach 'loving kindness' towards other people in some sort of way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment