Sunday 19 October 2014

lists

One way that I manage to control my anxiety is by making lists. These can be lists of things I need to do, things I need to take with me, or just lists of what are bothering me. Making lists helps my anxiety because I am able to physically see wheat I need to do, and I can cross off completed items, again giving me physical evidence of what I have or haven't done.

I tend to make one list every weekend, and that is a list of things that I need to do. This weekend was no different. I am so far up to date with what I had written on the list- and yes, the blog post was on the list, except I had planned to write it on Friday night, but didn't have time. 

I'm writing this blog post for two reasons: firstly I had no idea what to write about, but secondly I feel that others with anxiety, or who like to be organised, may benefit from trying to make lists. 

The important thing about making lists for a specific time period, like a weekend, is that you have to be realistic about what you want to achieve. You shouldn't write down loads of things and then be disappointed that you didn't get them done. Often it's best to start small- write one or two things and get them done, once you've done those things, have a rest, and then consider adding another thing to the list.

This weekend I had a list divided into three sections: Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Both Friday and Saturday had three things on each list, and they were quite big things to do, which took me a while, but Sunday only has one thing to do. That's because I have decided that Sunday will be my rest day this weekend, as I wanted to get everything I needed to do out of the way as quickly as possible. 


Lists may be a helpful tool for you, or a completely useless waste of time, but unless you try using lists a few times, you'll never know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment