Wednesday 15 October 2014

a random positive post about what I personally like about education

A few days ago, I wrote a post about some flaws that I have found in the education system, and I was aware that it was a truly one sided debate with a brief conclusion given to the positive opinion, so I thought it was only right for me to give an alternative point of view from my personal experience of education.

I have had a positive education, and throughout my life I have been recognised for my academic intelligence in various subject, and this is something that I have loved. I always used to enjoy receiving extra work from teachers, simply because the work for people my age was too simple for me at the time. It's no wonder that I was the top of my class across most subjects. Along with my academic intelligence, I would bring a positive attitude towards learning to every lesson, and it is for this reason that teachers have told me that I'm a 'dream' to teach. I have always had a desire to learn and obtain new knowledge, I don't know why, but I enjoy it.

Over the last few years, I have discovered that I have an ability to retain information which is considered to be above average, and because of this, I have been able to achieve amazing exam results without revising. I only really started revising for my exams last year when I sat my AS exams, but my revision did start four days before each exam, and as you can imagine, I had a lot of information to fit in my mind as I studied four subjects. But, despite this lack of revision, I did exceptionally well in my exams, achieving very good grades, and now that I am in my second year, I am going to be taking my A levels this year, and I have been informed by two of my teachers that I am on track for an A* in their subjects.

As a result of my obvious ability to achieve high grades in exams, I have been encouraged to go to university next year, and have been told by my form tutor that I will find it 'so easy' to get the highest level of qualification possible for whatever course I choose. I have decided that I will not be going to university next year though, as I have decided that I would like a break from education for a while.

One thing I do know about education is that not everyone has it as easy as me. I am incredibly lucky to have such an ability to achieve excellent results in exams without even really trying, but I know that many people do not have the same gift as me, but as many of my friends have proved, with hard work, dedication and getting support that you need from teachers in revision, you can do very well in exams, even if you are not considered to be the brightest person. One of my friends got an E in one of her mocks last year, and she was trying her hardest to do as well as possible. Her teacher told her that if she revised extremely hard, she might scrape a pass (grade C). On results day, I was incredibly proud of her, she had put in hours and hours of revision, attended extra sessions at school, and she must have completed every past paper there ever was for that subject. She got an A in the exam, and completely shocked herself and her teacher. But she is my proof that if you work hard enough for something, you will achieve it.

I do truly believe that education is such a wonderful thing and I am so thankful that I am lucky enough to be able to enhance my knowledge in areas that I enjoy. While there are some bad aspects to education which frustrate me, I will never stop being thankful that I have a right to be educated.

No comments:

Post a Comment