Friday 5 September 2014

spoken poetry

I like spoken poetry. I'm not so much a fan of any poetry that's written down, because I don't think that you can get emotions into it properly. When you hear someone's voice change as they say things, you can tell what they're thinking and how they feel, and that's why I really do like spoken poetry.

I find it so amazing to hear someone express their ideas in a poetic way too, it's just another creative thing that I love. It's a bit like singing, but often the words are more meaningful because they don't have to rhyme or fit in with a beat. They can take as long as they like and they often have some humour in them.

While I was at school, we only studied old fashioned written poetry that was drowning in metaphors about things that none of us ever understood, never once did I learn about spoken word poetry, but I believe that if I did, I may have enjoyed my English lessons far more.

I was never good at writing stories or expressing ideas through essays, but through spoken poetry, I feel that I can more confidently, and with far more emotion than with anything else. The only problem is that all of my spoken poetry is currently written poetry, because I've never had the confidence to read the poetry aloud for others to hear. Maybe one day I will, but right now I know that I'm not ready. I'll definitely keep writing it though because I enjoy expressing myself in ways that allow me to be creative.

I recommend that others look into spoken poetry too, as it's very different to the written poetry that we usually think of. It's very interesting, and some of you may just find a talent for writing and performing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment