Wednesday 17 September 2014

eating issues relapse

It really has been a while since I last made a blog post, and that's simply because I kept putting it off. I haven't had any ideas of what to write about recently, and I have been busy with college and a few other things, so my life has been quite hectic recently and although I have really wanted to write a blog post, I just haven't had a chance to write a proper one that I thought was good enough to post, so I just didn't. Now that that's out of the way, I can get to what this post is about.



Something that some of you may know about me, is that I have had eating issues in the past (for more information, see older post). These eating issues used to be a long term problem for me, however in the last year I have had it under control much more. It was only a few days ago that I noticed that the problem was resurfacing. 

When things get bad for me, and I lack control in the situation, one method that I always think about is restricting what I eat. I think it's partly to do with being in control of at least something in my life, but also to do with self punishment for whatever reason it may be.

Recently I have been fighting off the urges to restrict again, however a few days ago I sadly gave in and started to restrict what I eat. So after a month and a half of absolutely no calorie counting, I started to do it again. There was one change this time though: as much as I hated eating because I didn't think I deserved it, I made sure I ate 1200 calories each day as I knew that this is the minimum amount I should let myself eat.

I have spoken to one friend about this and they completely understand my reasons for doing it as they know of the pressure that I have been under recently, but I just feel that if I don't tell anyone else, I could keep it hidden for a very long time and fall back into my old ways of being, and I don't want that.

Although I was only restricting for a few days, it was a few days too many and I am upset with myself for giving in to the thoughts and punishing myself like that. Technically it is considered as a form of self harm, however I am not counting it as a relapse for my self harm recovery, but for my eating issues recovery, but I am completely fine with the relapse as it was only minor and I did make sure I consumed a healthy amount each day.

Another reason that I am being open about this is that I find the easiest way for me to change something and keep it changed is for me to openly admit that I was at fault and then state what change I am going to make, because if other people see it, I know that I have to keep at it.

So, as a result of this eating issue relapse, I'm going to delete the calorie counting app that I used on my phone, and all other things that can (and probably will) trigger me again. I will also try my hardest to eat normally again, because I know it's not right for me to do this to myself, and I need enough food to keep going.

I hope that I wont have another eating issue relapse again anytime soon, but if I do, I think I will be more open and honest about it and let people know that it is happening so they can be aware and possibly help me if they want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment